Southampton confident Spygate decision reversed on appeal and will be in play-off final on Saturday

Written on Wednesday, 20 May 2026
Mark Jensen

Incredible drama on Tuesday night as it was announced the Independent Disciplinary Commission had expelled Southampton from the Championship Play-Off final, with Middlesbrough to play Hull City instead.

Southampton had admitted multiple breaches of EFL Regulations related to the unauthorised filming of other Clubs’ training.

As well as the Spygate incident at the Middlesbrough training ground, Southampton admitted they had done the same before matches against Oxford United and Ipswich Town earlier this season.

In addition to having been kicked out of the play-offs, Southampton also receiving a four-point deduction that will be applied to the 2026/27 Championship table.

However, that may not be the end of the drama…

Simon Stone is a football reporter for BBC Sport and this (Wednesday 20 May) morning he says he has been informed by his sources that: “Southampton FC lawyers were intending to work overnight re EFL appeal given time they were getting the precise reasons for decision. Club feel punishment exceptionally excessive, compared to Leeds. Club staff told by chief executive Phil Parsons club are confident yesterday’s decision will be reversed. All parties agreed to get situation dealt with today so match can take place on Saturday.”

An extraordinary situation.

The time constraints make the whole thing even more gripping.

According to the BBC Sport reporter there is an agreement from “all parties” to try and ensure the match takes place on Saturday at Wembley.

However, even if that proves to be the case, with only three days to go until the Championship play-off final there is still no time for kick-off announced, nor do we know for sure who will be playing against Hull City!

On Tuesday night the official EFL statement detailed: ‘The effect of today’s order is that Middlesbrough are reinstated into the 2026 Play-Offs and will proceed to the Play-Off Final against Hull City. The final remains scheduled for Saturday 23 May, with the kick-off time to be confirmed. Southampton was first charged on Friday 8 May, with further charges issued on Sunday 17 May in relation to additional breaches during the 2025/26 season. Those additional charges arose from matters identified after the initial proceedings involving Middlesbrough were initiated. Southampton admitted breaches of Regulations requiring Clubs to act with the utmost good faith and prohibiting the observation of another Club’s training session within 72 hours of a scheduled match. The admitted breaches concern fixtures against Oxford United in December 2025, Ipswich Town in April 2026 and Middlesbrough in May 2026.’

The official EFL statement going on to say: ‘Southampton has a right to appeal the Commission’s decision in accordance with EFL Regulations and the parties are working to try and resolve any appeal on Wednesday 20 May. Subject to the outcome, it could result in a further change to Saturday’s fixture. The EFL is now in discussion with all three Clubs regarding the implications of today’s decision and will make a further announcement in due course. The Commission’s full written reasons will also be published in due course.’

With Southampton having admitted the breaching of the rules with regard to three different matches, you would think that would be it.

However, according to the BBC Sport reporter Simon Stone, they are going with the angle that the punishment is far too harsh.

I suppose the reality is that Southampton no doubt feel like they have nothing to lose by appealing. As things stand they have been blocked from playing in Saturday’s play-off final and deducted four points for next season (in the Championship).

Source