Earlier this week we found out that Newcastle United were in talks to sign Nico Gonzalez from Manchester City.
That came via a media exclusive form the very reliable David Ornstein of The Athletic.
Nico Gonzalez signed for Man City 18 months ago and started nine of their final 14 Premier League matches that 2024/25 season.
Last season the midfielder made 25 Premier League appearances, starting 17 and off the bench in another eight.
Now it has been reported that Manchester City have told Nico Gonzalez that he can leave.
Craig Hope at The Mail saying that his information is that Man City are happy to sell the 24-year-old to Newcastle United but that some of the midfielder’s club teammates are trying to persuade him to stay.
Just like at Newcastle United, a lot of changes at Manchester City this summer, on and off the pitch.
The 3-0 drubbing Man City got at the hands of Arsenal has pointed to the need for them to sign more players and make room in their squad, as well as generate extra cash to help allow them to push the boat out further for Maresca’s targets.
The man from The Mail says that three midfield targets are still under active consideration by Newcastle United but that of that trio, Nico Gonzalez is top of the list for Ross Wilson and Matthias Jaissle.
Nico Gonzalez started in three of the five matches between Newcastle United and Man City last season, in the team for the 2-1 Premier League defeat at St James’ Park but on the winning side at the Etihad in both the Premier League and Carabao Cup.
Signed for £52m from Porto at the start of February 2025, the now 24-year-old midfielder made 41 Manchester City appearances in total the last season and a half
Newcastle United have so far made six signings this summer and none of them have played a single minute of Premier League football previously.
Some £180m spent on six players aged 24 or under.
There is a universal belief that Newcastle United have to sign at least one experienced midfielder before the transfer window closes on 1 September.
I think for sure more Newcastle United fans will be enthused by the idea of signing somebody with the profile of Nico Gonzalez, a Premier League experienced midfielder who at the age of 24 still has his best years ahead of him, as opposed to the 31-year-old midfielders Palhinha and Hojbjerg who have been linked with United in recent weeks.
The clock is ticking with after Saturday only ten more days of the transfer window remaining, as it will close at 11pm on Tuesday 1 September.
🎙️ THE MAG PODCAST
THE NEW MAG POD IS LIVE!
Join Jamie, Simon and Hutch as they take a deep dive into everything Newcastle United.
| Spotify | Apple Podcasts |
| Amazon Music | Acast |