Ujpest Dozsa 2-3 Newcastle United

Written on 03/22/2020

In Newcastle United’s first-season in Europe, the odds against them lifting the Inter-Cities Fairs Cup were around 1,000-1 at the outset.

But United defied the doubters in some style; vanquishing Feyenoord, Sporting Lisbon, Real Zaragoza, Vitoria Setubal and Glasgow Rangers to reach a two-legged final clash against Ujpest Dozsa.

Hailing from Hungary, home of the Mighty Magyars of the 1950s, Ujpest were rightly regarded as formidable opponents.

After seeing off Don Revie's Leeds United at an earlier stage of the competition without conceding, they were thought to be near-invincible - until Joe Harvey’s heroes got at them.

First leg

After a goalless first half in front of a near 60,000 full-house in the first leg at St. James’ Park, skipper Bob Moncur made a dramatic contribution, scoring twice - first from close range, then from long distance.

“I rarely joined the attack in those days, but we needed a goal so I went upfield,” said Moncur.

“The first goal came after Wyn Davies had a shot saved and I squeezed in the rebound, then the second came from around the edge of the box with a low shot.

“Ujpest were rocked by the goals," Moncur added, "And Jimmy Scott got a third one close to the end to put us in a strong position for the second leg. But there was still work to do.”

Second leg

Ujpest, with greats such as Ferenc Bene and Antal Dunai in their ranks, came at United from the start in the return leg in Budapest.

When Bene and János Göröcs scored in the final 15 minutes of the first half, the Hungarian heavyweights had United on the ropes.

“But Joe told us at half-time that if we could score, Ujpest would collapse,” recalls Moncur. “We did score, and Joe was proved right.”

Indeed, in the first minute of the second half the the 'miracle' stories were being written again when Moncur volleyed a match-turning goal from a half-cleared corner. Ujpest buckled.

Danish midfielder Benny Arentoft hammered in a tremendous second to level the scores on the night before young substitute Alan Foggon raced clear, lifted a shot against the bar, and drilled home the rebound to complete a famous 6-2 aggregate victory.

Newcastle United line-up (first leg)
McFaul, Craig, Clark, Gibb, Burton, Moncur, Scott, Robson, Davies, Arentoft, Sinclair (Foggon)

Newcastle United (Moncur, 63, 71; Scott, 84)


Newcastle United line-up (second Leg)
McFaul, Craig, Clark, Gibb, Burton, Moncur, Scott (Foggon), Robson, Davies, Arentoft, Sinclair

Newcastle United (Moncur, 46; Arentoft, 53; Foggon, 68)
Ujpest Dozsa (Bene, 31; Janos Gorocs, 44)